- •We report on a novel form of brain stimulation, Synchronized Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (sTMS).
- •sTMS delivers brain stimulation at the individual alpha frequency (IAF) determined from EEG.
- •sTMS uses permanent rotating magnets to impart low-field sinusoidal waveform brain stimulation.
- •We examined efficacy of sTMS for treatment of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD).
- •In the per-protocol study population, sTMS was significantly more effective than sham treatment in ameliorating symptoms of MDD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- Efficacy and safety of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the acute treatment of major depression: a multisite randomized controlled trial.Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 62: 1208-1216
- Antidepressant efficacy of high-frequency transcranial magnetic stimulation over the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in double-blind sham-controlled designs: a meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2009; 39: 65-75
- Daily left prefrontal transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy for major depressive disorder: a sham-controlled randomized trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 507-516
- Should we expand the toolbox of psychiatric treatment methods to include repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)? A meta-analysis of the efficacy of rTMS in psychiatric disorders.J Clin Psychiatry. 2010; 71: 873-884
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for major depression: a multisite naturalistic observational study of acute treatment outcomes in clinical practice.Depress Anxiety. 2012; 29: 587-596
- The expanding evidence base for rTMS treatment of depression.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2013; 26: 13-18
- Response, remission and drop-out rates following high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for treating major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind and sham-controlled trials.Psychol Med. 2014; 44: 225-239
- A symptom-specific analysis of the effect of high-frequency left or low-frequency right transcranial magnetic stimulation over the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in major depression.Neuropsychobiology. 2010; 62: 91-97
- Clinically meaningful efficacy and acceptability of low-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for treating primary major depression: a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind and sham-controlled trials.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013; 38: 543-551
- The relationship between brain oscillatory activity and therapeutic effectiveness of transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of major depressive disorder.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 26: 7-37
- Using EEG to explore how rTMS produces its effects on behavior.Brain Topogr. 2010; 22: 281-293
- A neurophysiological insight into the potential link between transcranial magnetic stimulation, thalamocortical dysrhythmia, and neuropsychiatric disorders.Exp Neurol. 2013; 245: 87-95
- Natural frequencies of human corticothalamic circuits.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 7679-7685
- A pilot study of the use of EEG-based synchronized Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (sTMS) for treatment of Major Depression.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 13
- Endogenous electric fields may guide neocortical network activity.Neuron. 2010; 67: 129-143
- Transcranial electric stimulation entrains cortical neuronal populations in rats.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 11476-11485
- Low-intensity electrical stimulation affects network dynamics by modulating population rate and spike timing.J Neurosci. 2010; 30: 15067-15079
- Ephaptic coupling of cortical neurons.Nat Neurosci. 2011; 14: 217-223
- Enhancing cognitive performance with repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation at human individual alpha frequency.Eur J Neurosci. 2003; 17: 1129-1133
- Therapeutic effects of individualized alpha frequency transcranial magnetic stimulation (alpha TMS) on the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.Schizophr Bull. 2006; 32: 556-561
- Alpha EEG guided TMS in schizophrenia.Brain Stimul. 2012; 5: 560-568
- Endogenous and exogenous electric fields as modifiers of brain activity: rational design of noninvasive brain stimulation with transcranial alternating current stimulation.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2014; 16: 93-102
- The Mini-international Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10.J Clin Psychiatry. 1998; 59: 22-33
- A rating scale for depression.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1960; 23: 56-62
- Mini-Mental State Examination: Clinical guide.J Psychiatr Res. 2001; 12 (Lutz, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources): 189-198
- Long-term intra-individual variability of the background EEG in normals.Clin Neurophysiol. 1999; 110: 1708-1716
- The impact of medication resistance and continuation pharmacotherapy on relapse following response to electroconvulsive therapy in major depression.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1990; 10: 96-104
- A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 134: 382-389
- ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology – Revised (DHEW Publ No. ADM 76-338).U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration, NIMH Psychopharmacology Research Branch, Division of Extramural Research Programs, Rockville, MD1976: 218-222
- The inventory of depressive symptomatology (IDS): psychometric properties.Psychol Med. 1966; 26: 477-486
- The Columbia – Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS): initial validity and internal consistency. Findings from three multi-site studies with adolescents and adults.Am J Psychiatry. 2011; 168: 1266-1277
- Clinical validation of the Quality of Life Inventory. A measure of life satisfaction for use in treatment planning and outcome assessment.Psychol Assess. 1992; 4: 92-101
- Reliability and validity of a computerized neurocognitive test battery, CNS Vital Signs.Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2006; 21: 623-643
- Assessing and interpreting treatment effects in longitudinal clinical trials with missing data.Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 53: 754-760
- Optimally weighted, fixed sequence and gatekeeper multiple testing procedures.J Stat Plan Inf. 2001; 99: 25-40
- Impact of antidepressant treatment history on clinical outcomes in placebo and medication treatment of major depression.J Clin Psychopharm. 2010; 30: 748-751
- Neurophysiologic effects of repeated exposure to antidepressant medication: are brain functional changes during antidepressant administration influenced by learning processes?.Med Hypotheses. 2013; 81: 1004-1011
- Placebo response of non-pharmacological and pharmacological trials in major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e4824
- Acute modulation of cortical oscillatory activities during short trains of high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the human motor cortex: a combined EEG and TMS study.Hum Brain Mapp. 2008; 29: 1-13
- Effects of low-field magnetic stimulation on brain glucose metabolism.Neuroimage. 2010; 51: 623-628
- Low-field magnetic stimulation in bipolar depression using an MRI-based stimulator.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 93-98
- Antidepressant-like effect of magnetic resonance imaging-based stimulation in mice.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 31: 503-509
- Transcranial low voltage pulsed electromagnetic fields in patients with treatment-resistant depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2010; 68: 163-169
- Potential differential effects of 9 Hz rTMS and 10 Hz rTMS in the treatment of depression.Brain Stimul. 2010; 3: 124-126
- Intermediate phenotypes and biomarkers of treatment outcome in major depressive disorder.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2014; 16: 525-537
- Rhythms and blues: modulation of oscillatory synchrony and the mechanism of action of antidepressant treatments.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2015; 1344: 78-91
- Efficacy and safety of deep transcranial magnetic stimulation for major depression: a prospective multicenter randomized controlled trial.World Psychiatry. 2015; 14: 2051-5545
- Clinical significance of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in the treatment of pharmacoresistant depression: synthesis of recent data.Psychopharmacol Bull. 2009; 42: 5-38
Role of the funding source: Sponsorship of and financial support for the conduct of this research was provided by NeoSync, Inc . As the study sponsor, the company was involved in study design, as well in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data. The authors of this article have final authority and responsibility for the data analyses and interpretation of the results presented here. All individuals who participated in the writing of this report and in the decision to submit the article for publication are listed as co-authors on this manuscript. Because this was an industry-sponsored study, most of the authors have some financial relationship to the study sponsor.