- •High-frequency rTMS (10 Hz) can improve the efficacy of virtual reality exposure based therapy (VRET) in acrophobic patients.
- •Higher reduction of phobic anxiety and avoidance after VR exposure therapy in the active stimulation group.
- •R-TMS seems to primarily influence extinction processes and not extinction recall itself.
- •While the general principle of increased fear extinction after rTMS holds up across species, individual effects may differ.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- The size and burden of mental disorders and other disorders of the brain in Europe 2010. European neuropsychopharmacology.J Eur Coll Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 21: 655-679
- Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of mental disorders in the world health Organization's world mental health survey initiative. World psychiatry.official J World Psychiatric Assoc. 2007; 6: 168-176
- Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe 2010. European neuropsychopharmacology.J Eur Coll Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011; 21: 718-779
- S3-Leitlinie angststörungen.Springer: Heidelberg, 2015
- Psychological treatment for panic disorder with agoraphobia: a randomized controlled trial to examine the role of therapist-guided exposure in situ in CBT.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2011; 79: 406-420
- A perfect match: noninvasive brain stimulation and psychotherapy.Eur Archives Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014; 264: 27-33
- Repetitive transkranielle magnetstimulation (rTMS) bei angsterkrankungen—eine mögliche therapieoption? Eine systematische übersicht. = Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for anxiety disorders—a possible therapeutic option? A systematic review.Fortschritte Neurol Psychiatr. 2013; 81: 550-560
- Does rTMS alter neurocognitive functioning in patients with panic disorder/agoraphobia? An fNIRS-based investigation of prefrontal activation during a cognitive task and its modulation via sham-controlled rTMS.BioMed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 542526
- Left DLPFC rTMS stimulation reduced the anxiety bias effect or how to restore the positive memory processing in high-anxiety subjects.Psychiatry Res. 2013; 209: 554-559
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation over the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex for treating posttraumatic stress disorder: an exploratory meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind and sham-controlled trials.Can J psychiatry Revue Can de psychiatrie. 2014; 59: 487-496
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for panic disorder in adults.Cochrane database Syst Rev. 2014; 9 (CD009083)
- Device-based brain stimulation to augment fear extinction: implications for PTSD treatment and beyond.Depress anxiety. 2014; 31: 269-278
- Fear extinction and relapse: state of the art.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2013; 9: 215-248
- The effect of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on fear extinction in rats.Neuroscience. 2012; 200: 159-165
- Neural mechanisms of extinction learning and retrieval.Neuropsychopharmacol official Publ Am Coll Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008; 33: 56-72
- Extinction learning in humans: role of the amygdala and vmPFC.Neuron. 2004; 43: 897-905
- Context-dependent human extinction memory is mediated by a ventromedial prefrontal and hippocampal network.J Neurosci official J Soc Neurosci. 2006; 26: 9503-9511
- Medial prefrontal cortex activity during the extinction of conditioned fear: an investigation using functional near-infrared spectroscopy.Neuropsychobiology. 2012; 65: 173-182
- Medial prefrontal cortex stimulation modulates the processing of conditioned fear.Front Behav Neurosci. 2014; : 8
- Functional co-activation within the prefrontal cortex supports the maintenance of behavioural performance in fear-relevant situations before an iTBS modulated virtual reality challenge in participants with spider phobia.Behav brain Res. 2016; 307: 208-217
- Repeated exposure of flight phobics to flights in virtual reality.Behav Res Ther. 2001; 39: 1033-1050
- Effect of combined multiple contexts and multiple stimuli exposure in spider phobia: a randomized clinical trial in virtual reality.Behav Res Ther. 2015; 71: 45-53
- Cognitive enhancers as adjuncts to psychotherapy: use of d-cycloserine in phobic individuals to facilitate extinctionof fear.Archives general psychiatry. 2004; 61: 1136-1144
- Effectiveness of computer-generated (virtual reality) graded exposure in the treatment of acrophobia.Am J psychiatry. 1995; 152: 626-628
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.Jama. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
- Comparison of self-report and overt-behavioral procedures for assessing acrophobia.Behav Ther. 1977; 8: 17-23
- Cardiac and neuroendocrine responses to exposure therapy in height phobics: desynchrony within the 'physiological response system.Behav Res Ther. 1989; 27: 561-567
- State-Trait Anxiety Inventory and State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. The use of psychological testing for treatment planning and outcome assessment.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, Hillsdale, NJ, England1994: 292-321 (pp)
- Robust dimensions of anxiety sensitivity: development and initial validation of the Anxiety Sensitivity Index-3.Psychol Assess. 2007; 19: 176-188
- Untersuchungen mit einer deutschen Version der” Positive and Negative Affect Schedule”(PANAS).Diagnostica. 1996; 42: 139-156
Hautzinger M, Bailer M, Hofmeister D, Keller F. Allgemeine depressionsskala (ADS). Psychiatr Prax 39(06): 302–304.
- Influence of information and instructions on human behavior in tunnel accidents: a virtual reality study.J Virtual Real Broadcast. 2015; 12: 1-13
- Can virtual reality exposure therapy gains be generalized to real-life? A meta-analysis of studies applying behavioral assessments.Behav Res Ther. 2015; 74: 18-24
- Höhenangst in virtueller Realität.University of Würzburg, Würzburg2015 (Master thesis)
- Height simulation in a virtual reality CAVE system: effects of presence on fear responses.in: 57th conference of experimental psychologists (TeaP): hildesheim, Germany. 2015
- The ten twenty electrode system of the international federation.Electroencephalogr Clin neurophysiology. 1958; 10: 371-375
- Lack of medial prefrontal cortex activation underlies the immediate extinction deficit.J Neurosci official J Soc Neurosci. 2010; 30: 832-837
- Neurons in medial prefrontal cortex signal memory for fear extinction.Nature. 2002; 420: 70-74
- Electrical stimulation of medial prefrontal cortex reduces conditioned fear in a temporally specific manner.Behav Neurosci. 2004; 118: 389-394
- Psychophysiological effects of an iTBS modulated virtual reality challenge including participants with spider phobia.Biol Psychol. 2015; 112: 66-76
- Stimulation of medial prefrontal cortex decreases the responsiveness of central amygdala output neurons.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 8800-8807
- Contextual fear conditioning in virtual reality is affected by 5HTTLPR and NPSR1 polymorphisms: effects on fear-potentiated startle.Front Behav Neurosci. 2013; 7: 31
- The impact of perception and presence on emotional reactions: a review of research in virtual reality.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 26
- Feeling present in arousing virtual reality worlds: prefrontal brain regions differentially orchestrate presence experience in adults and children.Front Hum Neurosci. 2008; 2: 8
- Effects of transcranial direct current stimulation on consolidation of fear memory.Front psychiatry. 2013; 4: 107
- Transcranial direct current stimulation of the prefrontal cortex reduces cue-reactivity in alcohol dependent patients.J Neural Transm. 2016; 123: 1173-1178
- Transcranial direct current stimulation of the prefrontal cortex increases attention to visual target stimuli.J Neural Transm. 2016; 123: 1195-1203
- Can transcranial direct current stimulation augment extinction of conditioned fear?.Brain Stimul. 2016; 9: 529-536