- •First systematic investigation of intensity, frequency, and electrode montage, on the probability and intensity of elicited neurosensory side effects of tACS.
- •Detection of specific tuning curves for the various neurosensory side effects of tACS.
- •First report of pressure and dizziness as side effects of tACS.
- •First study on the effect of stimulation duration on the probability and the intensity of tACS-induced neurosensory sensations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- Rethinking clinical trials of transcranial direct current Stimulation: Participant and assessor blinding is inadequate at intensities of 2 mA.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e47514
- Transcranial DC stimulation (tDCS): a tool for double-blind sham-controlled clinical studies in brain stimulation.Clin Neurophysiol. 2006; 117: 845-850
- The fade-in–short stimulation–fade out approach to sham tDCS–reliable at 1 mA for naïve and experienced subjects, but not investigators.Brain Stimul. 2012; 5: 499-504
- A randomized, double-blind clinical trial on the efficacy of cortical direct current stimulation for the treatment of major depression.Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008; 11: 249-254
- Evaluation of sham transcranial direct current stimulation for randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials.Brain Stimul. 2013; 6: 690-695
- Frequency-dependent electrical stimulation of the visual cortex.Curr Biol. 2008; 18: 1839-1843
- Transcranial direct current stimulation of the prefrontal cortex modulates working memory performance: combined behavioural and electrophysiological evidence.BMC Neurosci. 2011; 12: 2
- Driving oscillatory activity in the human cortex enhances motor performance.Curr Biol. 2012; 22: 403-407
- The importance of timing in segregated theta phase-coupling for cognitive performance.Curr Biol. 2012; 22: 1314-1318
- Entrainment of brain oscillations by transcranial alternating current stimulation.Curr Biol. 2014; 24: 333-339
- Tremor Suppression by Rhythmic transcranial current stimulation.Curr Biol. 2014; 23: 436-440
- Orchestrating neuronal networks: sustained after-effects of transcranial alternating current stimulation depend upon brain states.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 161
- State-dependent effects of transcranial oscillatory currents on the motor system: what you think matters.J Neurosci. 2013; 33: 17483-17489
- Emergence of metastable state dynamics in interconnected cortical networks with propagation delays.PLoS Comput Biol. 2013; 9: e1003304
- Coupling BCI and cortical stimulation for brain-state-dependent stimulation: methods for spectral estimation in the presence of stimulation after-effects.Front Neural Circuits. 2012; 6: 87
- Coupling brain-machine interfaces with cortical stimulation for brain-state dependent stimulation: enhancing motor cortex excitability for neurorehabilitation.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 122
- Safety aspects of transcranial direct current stimulation concerning healthy subjects and patients.Brain Res Bull. 2007; 72: 208-214
- Functional MRI of galvanic vestibular stimulation with alternating currents at different frequencies.NeuroImage. 2005; 26: 721-732
- Retina or visual cortex? The site of phosphene induction by transcranial alternating current stimulation.Front Integr Neurosci. 2009; 3: 6
- Über subjektive Lichterscheinungen bei Reizung mit Wechselströmen.Z Sinnesphysiol. 1935; : 164-181
- Itch evoked by electrical stimulation of the skin.J Invest Dermatol. 1982; 79: 368-373
- Cutaneous perception during tDCS: role of electrode shape and sponge salinity.Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 122: 637-638
- Both the cutaneous sensation and phosphene perception are modulated in a frequency-specific manner during transcranial alternating current stimulation.Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2013; 31: 275-285
- Restoration of vision after optic nerve lesions with noninvasive transorbital alternating current stimulation: a clinical observational study.Brain Stimul. 2011; 4: 189-201
- Non-invasive alternating current stimulation improves vision in optic neuropathy.Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2011; 29: 493-505
- Computational analysis shows why transcranial alternating current stimulation induces retinal phosphenes.J Neural Eng. 2013; 10: 046009
- Relation between discharge regularity and responses to externally applied galvanic currents in vestibular nerve afferents of the squirrel monkey.J Neurophysiol. 1984; 51: 1236-1256
- Joint position sense and vibration sense: anatomical organisation and assessment.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2002; 73: 473-477
- Challenges of proper placebo control for non-invasive brain stimulation in clinical and experimental applications.Eur J Neurosci. 2013; 38: 2973-2977
VR and RB are supported by the Graduate Training Centre of Neuroscience, International Max Planck Research School, Tuebingen, Germany. AG is supported by grants from the German Research Council [DFG GH 94/2-1, DFG EC 307], and from the Federal Ministry for Education and Research [BFNT 01GQ0761, BMBF 16SV3783, BMBF 03160064B, BMBF V4UKF014].
Financial disclosures: The authors report no conflict of interest.