- •TMS-evoked potentials (TEPs) are absent when cortical lesions are stimulated.
- •TEPs can be recorded only when functional cortical regions are targeted.
- •When proper procedures are applied, TEPs purely reflect cortical responses to TMS.
- •To reliably assess brain-injured patients, neuronavigated TMS is needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- Combining TMS and EEG offers new prospects in cognitive neuroscience.Brain Topogr. 2010; 22: 249-256
- Assessing cortical network properties using TMS-EEG.Hum Brain Mapp. 2013; 34: 1652-1669
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation at the interface with other techniques: a powerful tool for studying the human cortex.Neuroscientist. 2011; 17: 368-381
- Neuronal responses to magnetic stimulation reveal cortical reactivity and connectivity.Neuroreport. 1997; 8: 3537-3540
- Instrumentation for the measurement of electric brain responses to transcranial magnetic stimulation.Med Biol Eng Comput. 1999; 37: 322-326
- Methodology for combined TMS and EEG.Brain Topogr. 2010; 22: 233-248
- Recovery of cortical effective connectivity and recovery of consciousness in vegetative patients.Brain. 2012; 135: 1308-1320
- The JFK Coma Recovery Scale-Revised: measurement characteristics and diagnostic utility.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 2020-2029
- A French validation study of the Coma Recovery Scale-Revised (CRS-R).Brain Inj. 2008; 22: 786-792
- MRI brain lesion patterns in patients in anoxia-induced vegetative state.J Neurol Sci. 2007; 260: 65-70
- Functional neuroanatomy underlying the clinical subcategorization of minimally conscious state patients.J Neurol. 2012; 259: 1087-1098
- Visual fixation in the vegetative state: an observational case series PET study.BMC Neurol. 2010; 10: 35
- Metabolic activity in external and internal awareness networks in severely brain-damaged patients.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 487-494
- The effect of stimulus parameters on TMS-EEG muscle artifacts.Brain Stimul. 2012; 6: 371-376
- General indices to characterize the electrical response of the cerebral cortex to TMS.Neuroimage. 2010; 49: 1459-1468
- Excitation threshold of the motor cortex estimated with transcranial magnetic stimulation electroencephalography.Neuroreport. 2007; 18: 13-16
- Natural frequencies of human corticothalamic circuits.J Neurosci. 2009; 29: 7679-7685
- Breakdown in cortical effective connectivity during midazolam-induced loss of consciousness.Proc Natl Acad U S A. 2010; 107: 2681-2686
- Breakdown of cortical effective connectivity during sleep.Science. 2005; 309: 2228-2232
- The role of the coil click in TMS assessed with simultaneous EEG.Clin Neurophysiol. 1999; 110: 1325-1328
- Masking the auditory evoked potential in TMS-EEG: a comparison of various methods.Brain Topogr. 2013; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1007/s10548-013-0312-z
- Reference-free identification of components of checkerboard-evoked multichannel potential fields.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1980; 48: 609-621
- EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis.J Neurosci Methods. 2004; 134: 9-21
- Objective detection of evoked potentials using a bootstrap technique.Med Eng Phys. 2007; 29: 191-198
- Bootstrap significance of low SNR evoked response.J Neurosci Methods. 2008; 168: 265-272
- Unresponsive wakefulness syndrome: a new name for the vegetative state or apallic syndrome.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 68
- Brain function in coma, vegetative state, and related disorders.Lancet Neurol. 2004; 3: 537-546
- TMS-EEG co-registration: on TMS-induced artifact.Clin Neurophysiol. 2009; 120: 1392-1399
- Suppression of vision by transcranial magnetic stimulation: a third mechanism.Neuroreport. 2000; 11: 2345-2349
This study was funded by James S. McDonnell Foundation Scholar Award 2013, EU grant FP7-ICT-2011-9, n. 600806 “Corticonics” and PRIN 2010 to MM; Public Utility Foundation “Université Européenne du Travail” ; Belgian National Funds for Scientific Research (FNRS); Belgian American Educational Foundation and Wallonie-Bruxelles International . OG and MAB are Postdoctoral Researchers and SL is Research Director at FNRS. OG received support from NIH grant MH095984 to Bradley R. Postle and from Giulio Tononi.
Disclosure: the authors declare no conflict of interest.