- •We examined structural brain changes following DBS of the fornix in AD.
- •In 2 of 6 AD patients, fornix DBS reversed hippocampal atrophy at one year.
- •Across all 6 AD patients, fornix DBS preserved volume in several brain regions.
- •DBS may influence the natural course of brain atrophy in neurodegenerative disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders.Front Integr Neurosci. 2012; 6 (PMCID: 3265746): 2
- Deep brain stimulation for treatment-resistant depression.Neuron. 2005; 45: 651-660
- Subcallosal cingulate deep brain stimulation for treatment-resistant unipolar and bipolar depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012; 69: 150-158
- Preliminary study in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder treated with electrical stimulation in the inferior thalamic peduncle.Neurosurgery. 2009; 65 (discussion 209): 203-209
- Three-year outcomes in deep brain stimulation for highly resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006; 31: 2384-2393
- Subcallosal cingulate deep brain stimulation for treatment-refractory anorexia nervosa: a phase 1 pilot trial.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1361-1370
- Probing and regulating dysfunctional circuits using deep brain stimulation.Neuron. 2013; 77: 406-424
- Alzheimer's disease.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 329-344
- Default-mode network activity distinguishes Alzheimer's disease from healthy aging: evidence from functional MRI.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101 (PMCID: 384799): 4637-4642
- Functional alterations in memory networks in early Alzheimer's disease.Neuromolecular Med. 2010; 12 (PMCID: 3036844): 27-43
- A phase I trial of deep brain stimulation of memory circuits in Alzheimer's disease.Ann Neurol. 2010; 68: 521-534
- Increased cerebral metabolism after 1 year of deep brain stimulation in Alzheimer disease.Arch Neurol. 2012; 69: 1141-1148
- The regulation of adult rodent hippocampal neurogenesis by deep brain stimulation.J Neurosurg. 2008; 108: 132-138
- Stimulation of entorhinal cortex promotes adult neurogenesis and facilitates spatial memory.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 13469-13484
- Memory rescue and enhanced neurogenesis following electrical stimulation of the anterior thalamus in rats treated with corticosterone.Exp Neurol. 2011; 232: 100-104
- A unified statistical approach to deformation-based morphometry.Neuroimage. 2001; 14: 595-606
- The Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR): current version and scoring rules.Neurology. 1993; 43: 2412-2414
- “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- A new rating scale for Alzheimer's disease.Am J Psychiatry. 1984; 141: 1356-1364
- The Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence.The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX1999
- Trail making test: manual for administration, scoring and interpretation.Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN1958
- Wechsler Memory Scale – third edition manual.The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX1997
- A nonparametric method for automatic correction of intensity nonuniformity in MRI data.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 1998; 17: 87-97
- Establishing magnetic resonance images orientation for the EADC-ADNI manual hippocampal segmentation protocol.J Neuroimaging. 2014; 24: 509-514
- Specificity of volumetric magnetic resonance imaging in detecting hippocampal sclerosis.Arch Neurol. 1997; 54: 67-73
- The fornix and mammillary bodies in older adults with Alzheimer's disease, mild cognitive impairment, and cognitive complaints: a volumetric MRI study.Psychiatry Res. 2006; 147: 93-103
- Automated subcortical segmentation using FIRST: test-retest reliability, interscanner reliability, and comparison to manual segmentation.Hum Brain Mapp. 2013 Sep; 34 (PMCID: 3479333): 2313-2329
- Intraclass correlations: uses in assessing rater reliability.Psychol Bull. 1979; 86: 420-428
- Efficient stereospecific synthesis of no-carrier-added 2-[18F]-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose using aminopolyether supported nucleophilic substitution.J Nucl Med. 1986; 27: 235-238
- Noninvasive quantitative fluorodeoxyglucose PET studies with an estimated input function derived from a population-based arterial blood curve.Radiology. 1993; 188: 131-136
- Cholinergic modulation of the cerebral metabolic response to citalopram in Alzheimer's disease.Brain. 2009; 132 (PMCID: 2640217): 392-401
- Automatic 3D intersubject registration of MR volumetric data in standardized Talairach space.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1994; 18: 192-205
- Comparison of regional brain volume and glucose metabolism between patients with mild dementia with lewy bodies and those with mild Alzheimer's disease.J Nucl Med. 2007; 48: 704-711
- Towards a validation of atlas warping techniques.Med Image Anal. 2008; 12: 713-726
- Tuning and comparing spatial normalization methods.Med Image Anal. 2004; 8: 311-323
- A deformation-based morphometry study of patients with early-stage Parkinson's disease.Eur J Neurol. 2010; 17: 314-320
- Symmetric atlasing and model based segmentation: an application to the hippocampus in older adults.Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2006; 9: 58-66
- Scan-rescan reliability of subcortical brain volumes derived from automated segmentation.Hum Brain Mapp. 2010; 31: 1751-1762
- An evaluation of neuroplasticity and behavior after deep brain stimulation of the nucleus accumbens in an animal model of depression.Neurosurgery. 2011; 69: 1281-1290
- Modifiable factors that alter the size of the hippocampus with ageing.Nat Rev Neurol. 2012; 8: 189-202
- A meta-analysis of hippocampal atrophy rates in Alzheimer's disease.Neurobiol Aging. 2009; 30 (PMCID: 2773132): 1711-1723
- Experience-dependent structural plasticity in the adult human brain.Trends Cogn Sci. 2011; 15: 475-482
Funding disclosures: T.S. is supported by a Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) fellowship award ( #234784 ). A.W.L. received support from the Surgeon Scientist Program, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto , and the Neurosurgical Research and Education Foundation of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. A.M.L. is a Canada Research Chair in Neuroscience and is supported by the R.R. Tasker Chair in Functional Neurosurgery. Additional support was provided by the Dana Foundation and Krembil Neuroscience Discovery Fund .
Conflicts of interest: A.M.L. is a consultant to Medtronic, St Jude, and Boston Scientific. A.M.L. serves on the scientific advisory board of Ceregene, Codman, Neurophage, Aleva and Alcyone Life Sciences. A.M.L. is co-founder of Functional Neuromodulation Inc. and holds intellectual property in the field of Deep Brain Stimulation. All other authors declare no relevant conflicts.
Authorship contributions: T.S., A.W.L., and A.M.L. conceived and designed the study. T.S. supervised all data collection and analysis, and drafted most of the manuscript. M.M.C. collected deformation-based morphometry data, performed neuroimaging data quality control, and wrote part of the Methods. A.B., M.L., and T.O. collected and analyzed MRI volumetric data. A.W.L., D.F.T-W. and M.P.M performed and analyzed clinical assessments. C.I.W. and G.S.S. collected and analyzed PET data and wrote part of the Methods. All authors contributed to critically revising the manuscript, and approved the final version before submission.