- •We compared active transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (tVNS) with a sham stimulation paradigm for treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy in a double-blind, randomized clinical trial.
- •Superiority of active tVNS vs. control tVNS could not be proven, but seizure frequency was significantly reduced in patients who completed the full active tVNS treatment period of 20 weeks.
- •Treatment adherence was high.
- •tVNS is a well tolerated treatment procedure.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation
- Commission on European Affairs: appropriate standards of epilepsy care across Europe. ILEA.Epilepsia. 1997; 38: 1245-1250
- Early identification of refractory epilepsy.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 314-319
- Vagus nerve stimulation therapy for partial-onset seizures: a randomized active-control trial.Neurology. 1998; 51: 48-55
- A randomized controlled trial of chronic vagus nerve stimulation for treatment of medically intractable seizures. The Vagus Nerve Stimulation Study Group.Neurology. 1995; 45: 224-230
- Electrical stimulation for the treatment of epilepsy.Neurother. 2009; 6: 218-227
- Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation.Eur Neurol Rev. 2011; 6: 254-256
- The nerve supply of the human auricle.Clin Anat. 2002; 15: 35-37
- Transcutaneous auricular vagus nerve stimulation as a complementary therapy for pediatric epilepsy: a pilot trial.Epilepsy Behav. 2013; 28: 343-346
- Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (t-VNS) in pharmacoresistant epilepsies: a proof of concept trial.Epilepsia. 2012; 53: e115-18
- The development of a seizure severity scale as an outcome measure in epilepsy.Epilepsy Res. 1991; 8: 245-251
- Development and cross-cultural translations of a 31-item quality of life in epilepsy inventory.Epilepsia. 1998; 39: 81-88
- A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 134: 382-389
- A new concept of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation for epileptic seizure.Abstr - Soc Neurosci. 2009; 4
- Feasibility, safety and efficacy of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation in chronic tinnitus: an open pilot study.Brain Stimul. 2014; 7: 740-747
- Transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation: retrospective assessment of cardiac safety in a pilot study.Front Psychiatry. 2012; 3: 70
- Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy.Lancet. 2011; 378: 2028-2038
- Epilepsy: accuracy of patient seizure counts.Arch Neurol. 2007; 64: 1595-1599