- •Pre-treatment network topology of the target region predicts rTMS-response.
- •Greater baseline local connectivity implied greater stimulation effects.
- •Less temporal integration also predicted greater stimulation effects.
- Lurie D.J.
- Kessler D.
- Bassett D.S.
- Betzel R.F.
- Breakspear M.
- Keilholz S.
- et al.
Material and methods
- Schuurmans J.
- van Balkom A.J.
- van Megen H.J.
- Smit J.H.
- Eikelenboom M.
- Cath D.C.
- et al.
Behavioral outcome measure
Static network analysis
Dynamic network analysis
Participants, baseline characteristics and behavioral outcomes
|OCD patients||Healthy controls||Statistic (df)||p|
n = 19
n = 19
n = 17
n = 18
|Number/% of males||9/47||9/47||9/53||8/44||χ(3) = 0.263||0.966|
|Age||39.1 ± 9.56||39.4 ± 11.03||38.4 ± 11.16||38.7 ± 11.14||F(3,69) = 0.029||0.993|
|Education (years)||12.7 ± 3.21||12.9 ± 2.86||13.2 ± 3.15||13.1 ± 2.92||F(3,69) = 0.069||0.976|
|YBOCS total||20.0 ± 7.19||22.5 ± 5.41||NA||NA||F(1,36) = 1.498||0.229|
|YBOCS obsession||9.2 ± 3.69||11.1 ± 3.46||NA||NA||F(1,36) = 2.664||0.111|
|YBOCS compulsion||10.8 ± 4.12||11.4 ± 2.50||NA||NA||F(1,36) = 0.327||0.571|
Static network topology
Dynamic network topology
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Multimedia component 1
- Multimedia component 2
- The epidemiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder in the national comorbidity survey replication.Mol Psychiatry. 2010; 15: 53-63
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders.fifth ed. American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA2013
- A multi-modal investigation of the roles of distress tolerance and emotional reactivity in obsessive-compulsive symptoms.Anxiety Stress Coping. 2013; 26: 478-492
- Common and distinct neural correlates of obsessive-compulsive and related disorders.Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2006; 29 ([viii]): 391-410
- A meta-analysis of functional neuroimaging in obsessive-compulsive disorder.Psychiatry Res. 2004; 132: 69-79
- Brain circuitry of compulsivity.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016; 26: 810-827
- Invasive circuitry-based neurotherapeutics: stereotactic ablation and deep brain stimulation for OCD.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35: 317-336
- Noninvasive human brain stimulation.Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2007; 9: 527-565
- Modulating spontaneous brain activity using repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation.BMC Neurosci. 2010; 11: 145
- Emotion regulation before and after transcranial magnetic stimulation in obsessive compulsive disorder.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 3059-3073
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation affects behavior by biasing endogenous cortical oscillations.Front Integr Neurosci. 2009; 3: 14
- Decreased neural activity and neural connectivity while performing a set-shifting task after inhibiting repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on the left dorsal prefrontal cortex.BMC Neurosci. 2015; 16: 45
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a focus on network mechanisms and state dependence.Neuroimage Clin. 2018; 19: 661-674
- Emotion regulation in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a functional MRI study before and after transcranial magnetic stimulation.J Obsessive-Compulsive Relat Disord. 2013; 2: 226
- Reductions in cortico-striatal hyperconnectivity accompany successful treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder with dorsomedial prefrontal rTMS.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016; 41: 1395-1403
- Inter- and Intra-individual variability following intermittent theta burst stimulation: implications for rehabilitation and recovery.Brain Stimul. 2014; 7: 365-371
- Variability of behavioural responses to transcranial magnetic stimulation: origins and predictors.Neuropsychologia. 2015; 74: 137-144
- Network connectivity and individual responses to brain stimulation in the human motor system.Cerebr Cortex. 2014; 24: 1697-1707
- Brain modularity: a biomarker of intervention-related plasticity.Trends Cogn Sci. 2019; 23: 293-304
- Dynamics of neuronal firing correlation: modulation of "effective connectivity".J Neurophysiol. 1989; 61: 900-917
- Principles of dynamic network reconfiguration across diverse brain states.Neuroimage. 2018; 180: 396-405
- Functional connectivity in the resting brain: a network analysis of the default mode hypothesis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 253-258
- Collective dynamics of ’small-world’ networks.Nature. 1998; 393: 440-442
- Noninvasive brain stimulation: from physiology to network dynamics and back.Nat Neurosci. 2013; 16: 838-844
- Imaging human brain networks to improve the clinical efficacy of non-invasive brain stimulation.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 57: 187-198
- Depression, neuroimaging and connectomics: a selective overview.Biol Psychiatry. 2015; 77: 223-235
- Graph analysis of the human connectome: promise, progress, and pitfalls.Neuroimage. 2013; 80: 426-444
- Modern network science of neurological disorders.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2014; 15: 683-695
- Frontal lobe connectivity and network community characteristics are associated with the outcome of subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in patients with Parkinson’s disease.Brain Topogr. 2018; 31: 311-321
- Connectivity Predicts deep brain stimulation outcome in Parkinson disease.Ann Neurol. 2017; 82: 67-78
- Anhedonia and reward-circuit connectivity distinguish nonresponders from responders to dorsomedial prefrontal repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in major depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 76: 176-185
- The effects of antidepressant treatment on resting-state functional brain networks in patients with major depressive disorder.Hum Brain Mapp. 2015; 36: 768-778
- Fronto-temporal connectivity predicts ECT outcome in major depression.Front Psychiatry. 2018; 9: 92
- Dynamic functional connectivity: promise, issues, and interpretations.Neuroimage. 2013; 80: 360-378
- Understanding principles of integration and segregation using whole-brain computational connectomics: implications for neuropsychiatric disorders.Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2017; 375
- On the nature of resting fMRI and time-varying functional connectivity.PsyArXiv. 2018;
- Behavioral relevance of the dynamics of the functional brain connectome.Brain Connect. 2014; 4: 741-759
- The chronnectome: time-varying connectivity networks as the next frontier in fMRI data discovery.Neuron. 2014; 84: 262-274
- Neural and metabolic basis of dynamic resting state fMRI.Neuroimage. 2018; 180: 448-462
- Dynamic fluctuations coincide with periods of high and low modularity in resting-state functional brain networks.Neuroimage. 2016; 127: 287-297
- Tracking whole-brain connectivity dynamics in the resting state.Cerebr Cortex. 2014; 24: 663-676
- The Netherlands Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Association (NOCDA) study: design and rationale of a longitudinal naturalistic study of the course of OCD and clinical characteristics of the sample at baseline.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2012; 21: 273-285
- Structured clinical Interview for DSM-IV-TR Axis I disorders. SCID-I/P.Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York2002
- The Yale-Brown obsessive compulsive scale. II. Validity.Arch Gen Psychiatr. 1989; 46: 1012-1016
- A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change.Br J Psychiatry. 1979; 134: 382-389
- Benchmarking of participant-level confound regression strategies for the control of motion artifact in studies of functional connectivity.Neuroimage. 2017; 154: 174-187
- Optimizing functional accuracy of TMS in cognitive studies: a comparison of methods.J Cogn Neurosci. 2009; 21: 207-221
- Functional coactivation map of the human brain.Cerebr Cortex. 2008; 18: 2553-2559
- Combining high and low frequencies in rTMS antidepressive treatment: preliminary results.Hum Psychopharmacol. 2002; 17: 353-356
- The human brainnetome atlas: a new brain atlas based on connectional architecture.Cerebr Cortex. 2016; 26: 3508-3526
- Advances in functional and structural MR image analysis and implementation as FSL.Neuroimage. 2004; 23: S208-S219
- Improved optimization for the robust and accurate linear registration and motion correction of brain images.Neuroimage. 2002; 17: 825-841
- Fsl. Neuroimage. 2012; 62: 782-790
- A Bayesian model of shape and appearance for subcortical brain segmentation.Neuroimage. 2011; 56: 907-922
- A probabilistic MR atlas of the human cerebellum.Neuroimage. 2009; 46: 39-46
- Fast robust automated brain extraction.Hum Brain Mapp. 2002; 17: 143-155
- Segmentation of brain MR images through a hidden Markov random field model and the expectation-maximization algorithm.IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2001; 20: 45-57
- Investigations into resting-state connectivity using independent component analysis.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2005; 360: 1001-1013
- SUSAN - a new approach to low level image processing.Int J Comput Vis. 1997; 23: 45-78
- Learning-induced autonomy of sensorimotor systems.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 744-751
- Choosing wavelet methods, filters, and lengths for functional brain network construction.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0157243
- The effects of physiologically plausible connectivity structure on local and global dynamics in large scale brain models.J Neurosci Methods. 2009; 183: 86-94
- Complex network measures of brain connectivity: uses and interpretations.Neuroimage. 2010; 52: 1059-1069
- The organization of the human cerebral cortex estimated by intrinsic functional connectivity.J Neurophysiol. 2011; 106: 1125-1165
- Evolution of network architecture in a granular material under compression.Phys Rev E. 2016; 94032908
- Dynamic graph metrics: tutorial, toolbox, and tale.Neuroimage. 2018; 180: 417-427
- On spurious and real fluctuations of dynamic functional connectivity during rest.Neuroimage. 2015; 104: 430-436
- Default mode network mechanisms of transcranial magnetic stimulation in depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 76: 517-526
- Functional brain network modularity predicts response to cognitive training after brain injury.Neurology. 2015; 84: 1568-1574
- Brain network modularity predicts exercise-related executive function gains in older adults.Front Aging Neurosci. 2017; 9: 426
- Modular brain network organization predicts response to cognitive training in older adults.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0169015
- Reworking the language network.Trends Cogn Sci. 2014; 18: 120-126
- Big Correlations in Little Studies: inflated fMRI Correlations Reflect Low Statistical Power-Commentary on Vul et al. (2009).Perspect Psychol Sci. 2009; 4: 294-298
- State-dependent variability of dynamic functional connectivity between frontoparietal and default networks relates to cognitive flexibility.Neuroscience. 2016; 339: 12-21
- Information processing speed in multiple sclerosis: relevance of default mode network dynamics.Neuroimage Clin. 2018; 19: 507-515
- Functional brain networks are dominated by stable group and individual factors, not cognitive or daily variation.Neuron. 2018; 98: 439-452 e5
- A window-less approach for capturing time-varying connectivity in fMRI data reveals the presence of states with variable rates of change.Hum Brain Mapp. 2018; 39: 1626-1636
- A wavelet-based estimator of the degrees of freedom in denoised fMRI time series for probabilistic testing of functional connectivity and brain graphs.Neuroimage. 2016; 142: 14-26
- The dynamic functional connectome: state-of-the-art and perspectives.Neuroimage. 2017; 160: 41-54
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy