- •Rules for dorsolateral prefrontal cortex targeting (DLPFC) were virtually traced.
- •Cortical locations and networks were compared to connectivity-based atlases.
- •Fixed distance rules were more variable in regions and networks targeted.
- •EEG-based targets consistently targeted DLPFC regions.
- •EEG-based targets had fMRI features associated with depression response.
- Berlim M.T.
- van den Eynde F.
- Tovar-Perdomo S.
- Daskalakis Z.J.
- Martinot M.L.P.
- Galinowski A.
- Ringuenet D.
- Gallarda T.
- Lefaucheur J.P.
- Bellivier F.
- et al.
- Li C.T.
- Cheng C.M.
- Chen M.H.
- Juan C.H.
- Tu P.C.
- Bai Y.M.
- et al.
2. Material and methods
|Mean (SD) or n (%) N = 49|
|Sex, Male||39 (79.59)|
|Education (N = 42)||13.9 (1.96)|
|Race, Caucasian||40 (81.63)|
|BDI-II Score (N = 43)||23.3 (10.26)|
|PTSD (PCL-M) (N = 43)||42.67 (17.3)|
2.1 MRI analysis
2.1.1 Identifying the virtual scalp and brain targets
2.1.2 Fixed distance targeting rules
2.1.3 Adjusted targeting rules
2.1.4 Identifying the brain target for applied 6 cm rule
2.1.5 Dispersion and labeling of targets
2.1.6 Resting-state fMRI analyses
3.1 Dispersion and labeling of targets
3.2 Resting state fMRI analyses
CRediT authorship contribution statement
Declaration of competing interest
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Multimedia component 1
- The clinical TMS society consensus review and treatment recommendations for TMS therapy for major depressive disorder.Brain stimulation. 2016; 9: 336-346
- The expanding evidence base for rTMS treatment of depression.Current Opinion in Psychiatry. 2013; 26
- Updated review on the clinical use of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in psychiatric disorders.Neuroscience Bulletin. 2017; 33: 747-756
- Combining transcranial magnetic stimulation with functional magnetic resonance imaging for probing and modulating neural circuits relevant to affective disorders.Wiley Interdiscip Rev Cogn Sci, 2021: e1553
- A study of the pattern of response to rTMS treatment in depression.Depression and Anxiety. 2016; 33: 746-753
- Response, remission and drop-out rates following high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for treating major depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind and sham-controlled trials.Psychological Medicine. 2014; 44: 225-239
- A multi-modal parcellation of human cerebral cortex.Nature. 2016; 536: 171-178
- Subgenual functional connectivity predicts antidepressant treatment response to transcranial magnetic stimulation: independent validation and evaluation of personalization.Biological Psychiatry. 2019; 86: e5-e7
- Prospective validation that subgenual connectivity predicts antidepressant efficacy of transcranial magnetic stimulation sites.Biological Psychiatry. 2018; 84: 28-37
- Efficacy of transcranial magnetic stimulation targets for depression is related to intrinsic functional connectivity with the subgenual cingulate.Biol Psychiatry. 2012; 72: 595-603
- More lateral and anterior prefrontal coil location is associated with better repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation antidepressant response.Biological Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 509-515
- Using brain imaging to improve spatial targeting of transcranial magnetic stimulation for depression.Biol Psychiatry. 2020;
- Reduction of prefrontal cortex glucose metabolism common to three types of depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989; 46: 243-250
- Influence of prefrontal target region on the efficacy of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in patients with medication-resistant depression: a [(18)F]-fluorodeoxyglucose PET and MRI study.International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 13: 45-59
- An analysis of functional neuroimaging studies of dorsolateral prefrontal cortical activity in depression.Psychiatry Res. 2006; 148: 33-45
- Brain metabolic changes associated with symptom factor improvement in major depressive disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 50: 171-178
- Daily repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) improves mood in depression.Neuroreport. 1995; 6: 1853-1856
- Rapid-rate transcranial magnetic stimulation of left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in drug-resistant depression.Lancet. 1996; 348: 233-237
- Is there "one" DLPFC in cognitive action control? Evidence for heterogeneity from co-activation-based parcellation.Cereb Cortex. 2013; 23: 2677-2689
- Daily left prefrontal transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy for major depressive disorder: a sham-controlled randomized trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 507-516
- A controlled study of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in medication-resistant major depression.Biological Psychiatry. 2006; 59: 187-194
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation in therapy studies: examination of the reliability of "standard" coil positioning by neuronavigation.Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 50: 58-61
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for treatment-resistant major depression (TRMD) Veteran patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2017; 18: 409
- Exploring the optimal site for the localization of dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in brain stimulation experiments.Brain stimulation. 2009; 2: 234-237
- Comparison of "standard" and "navigated" procedures of TMS coil positioning over motor, premotor and prefrontal targets in patients with chronic pain and depression.Neurophysiologie Clinique-Clinical Neurophysiology. 2010; 40: 27-36
- Reliability of targeting methods in TMS for depression: Beam F3 vs. 5.5 cm.Brain stimulation. 2020; 13: 578-581
- 3D statistical neuroanatomical models from 305 MRI volumes.1993
- Symmetric atlasing and model based segmentation: an application to the hippocampus in older adults.Lect Notes Comput Sc. 2006; 4191: 58-66
- A randomized trial of rTMS targeted with MRI based neuro-navigation in treatment-resistant depression.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 1255-1262
- Personalized connectivity-guided DLPFC-TMS for depression: advancing computational feasibility, precision and reproducibility.Hum Brain Mapp. 2021; 42: 4155-4172
- High-dose spaced theta-burst TMS as a rapid-acting antidepressant in highly refractory depression.Brain. 2018; 141: e18-e
- Identification of personalized transcranial magnetic stimulation targets based on subgenual cingulate connectivity: an independent replication.Biological Psychiatry. 2021; 90: e55-e56
- Antidepressant efficacy of prolonged intermittent theta burst stimulation monotherapy for recurrent depression and comparison of methods for coil positioning: a randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled study.Biol Psychiatry. 2020; 87: 443-450
- Using the international 10-20 EEG system for positioning of transcranial magnetic stimulation.Brain Topography. 2003; 16: 95-99
- An efficient and accurate new method for locating the F3 position for prefrontal TMS applications.Brain stimulation. 2009; 2: 50-54
- Consensus recommendations for the clinical application of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) in the treatment of depression.J Clin Psychiatry. 2018; 79
- Concordance between BeamF3 and MRI-neuronavigated target sites for repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.Brain stimulation. 2015; 8: 965-973
- Functional MRI of the immediate impact of transcranial magnetic stimulation on cortical and subcortical motor circuits.Eur J Neurosci. 2004; 19: 1950-1962
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on resting-state connectivity: a systematic review.Neuroimage. 2020; : 211
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation with resting-state network targeting for treatment-resistant depression in traumatic brain injury: a randomized, controlled, double-blinded pilot study.J Neurotrauma. 2019; 36
- Stanford accelerated intelligent neuromodulation therapy for treatment-resistant depression.Am J Psychiatry. 2020; 177: 716-726
- Spread of activity following TMS is related to intrinsic resting connectivity to the salience network: a concurrent TMS-fMRI study.Cortex. 2018; 108: 160-172
- Network mechanisms of clinical response to transcranial magnetic stimulation in posttraumatic stress disorder and major depressive disorder.Biological Psychiatry. 2018; 83: 263-272
- The organization of the human cerebral cortex estimated by intrinsic functional connectivity.Journal of Neurophysiology. 2011; 106: 1125-1165
- Effect of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on treatment-resistant major depression in US Veterans: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Psychiatry. 2018; 75: 884-893
- Localization of the motor hand area to a knob on the precentral gyrus. A new landmark.Brain. 1997; 120: 141-157
- Where does TMS stimulate the motor cortex? Combining electrophysiological measurements and realistic field estimates to reveal the affected cortex position.Cerebral Cortex. 2017; 27: 5083-5094
- Improving lesion--symptom mapping.Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 2007; 19: 1081-1088
- Applied multivariate statistical analysis.sixth ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J.2007
- A component based noise correction method (CompCor) for BOLD and perfusion based fMRI.NeuroImage. 2007; 37: 90-101
- The impact of global signal regression on resting state correlations: are anti-correlated networks introduced?.NeuroImage. 2009; 44: 893-905
- Trouble at rest: how correlation patterns and group differences become distorted after global signal regression.Brain Connect. 2012; 2: 25-32
- Anticorrelations in resting state networks without global signal regression.Neuroimage. 2012; 59: 1420-1428
- The geometry of correlation fields with an application to functional connectivity of the brain.The annals of applied probability. 1999; 9: 1021-1057
- Comparing functional connectivity via thresholding correlations and singular value decomposition.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2005; 360: 913-920
- Nonparametric permutation tests for functional neuroimaging: a primer with examples.Hum Brain Mapp. 2002; 15: 1-25
- AFNI: software for analysis and visualization of functional magnetic resonance neuroimages.Comput Biomed Res. 1996; 29: 162-173
- Improved assessment of significant activation in functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI): use of a cluster-size threshold.Magn Reson Med. 1995; 33: 636-647
- FMRI clustering in AFNI: false-positive rates redux.Brain Connectivity. 2017; 7: 152-171
- Statistical validation of image segmentation quality based on a spatial overlap index.Acad Radiol. 2004; 11: 178-189
- The hand motor hotspot is not always located in the hand knob: a neuronavigated transcranial magnetic stimulation study.Brain Topography. 2016; 29: 590-597
- Prefrontal rTMS for treating depression: location and intensity results from the OPT-TMS multi-site clinical trial.Brain stimulation. 2012; 6: 108-117
- Dissociable intrinsic connectivity networks for salience processing and executive control.Journal of Neuroscience. 2007; 27: 2349-2356
- A dual-networks architecture of top-down control.Trends Cogn Sci. 2008; 12: 99-105
- Definition of DLPFC and M-1 according to anatomical landmarks for navigated brain stimulation: inter-rater reliability, accuracy, and influence of gender and age.Neuroimage. 2013; 78: 224-232
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation coregistered with MRI: a comparison of a guided versus blind stimulation technique and its effect on evoked compound muscle action potentials.Clin Neurophysiol. 2001; 112: 1781-1792
- Distinct symptom-specific treatment targets for circuit-based neuromodulation.Am J Psychiatry. 2020; 177: 435-446
- Two phases of interhemispheric inhibition between motor related cortical areas and the primary motor cortex in human.Cereb Cortex. 2009; 19: 1654-1665
- A meta-analysis of cortical inhibition and excitability using transcranial magnetic stimulation in psychiatric disorders.Clinical Neurophysiology. 2013; 124: 1309-1320
- Neuropharmacological basis of rTMS-induced analgesia: the role of endogenous opioids.Pain. 2011; 152: 320-326
- The brain's default network - anatomy, function, and relevance to disease.Year in Cognitive Neuroscience. 2008 2008; 1124: 1-38
- The role of the posterior cingulate cortex in cognition and disease.Brain. 2014; 137: 12-32
- Left prefrontal neuronavigated electrode localization in tDCS: 10–20 EEG system versus MRI-guided neuronavigation.Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging. 2018; 274: 1-6
- Three-dimensional probabilistic anatomical cranio-cerebral correlation via the international 10–20 system oriented for transcranial functional brain mapping.Neuroimage. 2004; 21: 99-111
- The pursuit of DLPFC: non-neuronavigated methods to target the left dorsolateral pre-frontal cortex with symmetric bicephalic transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS).Brain stimulation. 2015; 8: 590-602
- Using the international 10-20 EEG system for positioning of transcranial magnetic stimulation.Brain Topography. 2003; 16: 95-99
- Automated cortical projection of EEG sensors: anatomical correlation via the international 10–10 system.NeuroImage. 2009; 46: 64-72
- Functional system and areal organization of a highly sampled individual human brain.Neuron. 2015; 87: 657-670
- Targeting repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in depression: do we really know what we are stimulating and how best to do it?.Brain Stimul. 2021; 14: P730-P736
- Metabolic reduction in the posterior cingulate cortex in very early Alzheimer's disease.Annals of Neurology: Official Journal of the American Neurological Association and the Child Neurology Society. 1997; 42: 85-94
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy